who what why

i realised something recently.
i have no idea how to describe myself.

you know how when you meet people, they tell you something simple about them?
i don't know how to do that now.

before i tell people i'm an engineer, which is kinda what i used to do.
it's my job description.
these days, i'm just another government officer, but in charge of digitalisation projects.
how do i put that in simpler terms?

do i tell people, oh, i'm in IT?
i don't really know IT terms
sometimes i just settle with, oh i work with the gov.
it's simpler.

i was setting up a revised version of my personal website
and i can't find the words to describe myself
i'm not even sure i have a life path
let alone a career

personally, for me, it's troubling
because i don't know myself
i think you have to know how to describe yourself.

oh, i'm a tutor.
oh, i'm a business person.
oh, i'm currently unemployed.
oh, i'm a *insert occupation which can be explained in a word*.

i have a job
but i can't describe it in simple terms
i just do work
day in day out
doing what needs to be done at that moment

i don't know if i need help
or a better life
maybe the first mistake
was taking a degree
i didn't want and can't relate to

maybe that's why i can't describe myself

because i am not myself
so who am i?
always the one
with the impostor syndrome

Comments

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J. R. R. Tolkien