the birthday-work trip

so usually I go down the the capital city and it's just another trip. 

this time, however, something felt different.
is it because I'm actually working?
maybe.

this trip was made with two consciousness in mind.
1. it's for work, which means I will have to handle some important things, and watch over a co-worker. my boss is independent enough, and he knows I am too. the other guy, not so much.
2. the pandemic is still ongoing, which means travelling in a plane with little to no physical distancing is risky, even if the plane has hepa filters as they claim. 
so I joined my boss and a co-worker for this trip, and a lot of times, I find myself in a high state of alert. mainly because of the pandemic (I spray everything with the sanitising spray every time I'm back in the hotel room) but also I feel responsible for the other guy, but I don't know why (he's slightly handicapped, being vertically-challenged, so naturally I felt protective of him a bit).

I managed to spend some time alone, but I didn't get to go to all the places I wanna go. 
but I shouldn't expect myself to; it wasn't a leisure trip. 
but at least I did go to the bookstore and ikea. 

we had an unexpected networking dinner at a posh place.
which I was semi-prepared for. thankfully I brought proper shoes, not just sneakers. 
I didn't feel like I belong there, but my boss said we had to, as a gesture of goodwill. 
I said ok. 
it wasn't too bad. 
it was held at a place I really wanna go anyway, so something on the wishlist got a tick, at least. 

our consultants joined us as well for the dinner.
they joined us for a night out the next day.
felt like a good bonding session, since we're going to be working with them on more projects.
they're cool.

before heading home, I met up with a twitter friend who's cooler than I expected.
a definition of 'living life to its fullest' kinda guy.
I believe he deserves the world.
sadly some people in the world has been unkind to him. 
he said he only has a few months to live.
I hope he has many, many more years to live life. 

a week before this trip, I stayed over at a hotel for a baking class.
and some friends joined me in the class. 
we had drinks, so I didn't want them to drive home, so they crashed at my room.
I gave them the bed, cos their week has been worst than mine. 
that's the best kindness I can do for them right now. 
I took the floor; I pride myself for being a gentlemen sometimes. 

upon arrival, we got swabbed at the airport.
that shit ain't a joke; my friend got a nose bleed.
I was ok. 
I chose to then self-quarantine for a few days in my mum's room cos it has an attached bathroom. 
I can't risk mum and dad and sis.

I think I figured why this trip felt different. 
it's probably because I felt anxious and worried at all times. 
I hardly felt relaxed. 
I didn't get enough sleep. 
maybe it's the overthinking.
maybe it's just me absorbing the big city energy, feeling alive again.
or maybe I already had plans but it didn't pan out.

or maybe I actually felt lonelier than ever.

I wasn't upset, though.
I felt happy, energetic, optimistic throughout this work trip.
it just felt a bit different.
I guess I'll never figure it out.
or maybe I will, when it no longer matters.
but I learnt that we have to be kinder to others.
we don't know what other people worry about. 
what dreams they have.
what hopes they carry.

but for sure, it's another memorable escape.
now back to the woodwork
till the next one

Comments

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J. R. R. Tolkien